Friday, March 04, 2005

Keystone Cops, Baghdad Precinct

The US military, that fine band of sharpshooters that has felled more journalists that in any other conflict in recent memory (remember Mazen Dana), has just earned another notch in its belt. The group of Einstiens openned fire on the car carrying recently freed Italian journalist, Giuliana Sgrena, killing an Italian agent and wounding Sgrena in the shoulder. All of which will garner a collective shrug from the Americans. Ain't empire grand? [Journalism, Hostages, Italy]

Addendum: My fine readers have pointed out that the military did try to warn them before they openned fire. Of course, I would expect the brass to say that but if it's true I will retract my snarky comment. Incidentally, my girlfriend's friend still has radioctive shrapnel in her from when the military shot at the Palestine Hotel. The reason? They thought they saw someone aiming at them. I like the military but I also know they rarely admit a mistake.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Some very relevant facts were left out:

U.S. troops "attempted to warn the driver to stop by hand and arm signals, flashing white lights, and firing warning shots in front of the car," the statement said. "When the driver didn't stop, the soldiers shot into the engine block, which stopped the vehicle, killing one and wounding two others."

8:12 PM  
Blogger crossfader72 said...

Gee. I guess that makes it so . . .

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home